Easter is a great time of celebration and our campuses were full of life yesterday. Like you, I love Easter and everything that it represents. I spent last week reading about the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus and was deeply moved by Christ’s love for us. But today is the day after Easter… so now what?
Well, if it’s possible, I’m even more EXCITED!
Really? Yah! This morning as I was reading I was reminded that the resurrection was not the end of the story. If Christ had died and been resurrected for his own sake that would have been the end of the story… but he wasn’t. He gave his life as a ransom for many!
2000 years ago, there was a “Day after Easter”, and on that day Jesus launched the greatest movement in human history… the church. Today, we get to be a part of it! How awesome is that?!
As great as yesterday was (and it must have been because I saw all of your status updates on FB) I wanted to share with you why the Day after Easter is so exciting and why I believe that, as a church, our best days are still ahead of us:
- I see our leaders and volunteers stepping up and leading with conviction and passion.
- I see Jesus being preached (every week) and people responding (every week)… because of THE GOSPEL.
- I see a perfect storm brewing in Utah where the potential to reach this place has never been greater! It’s a time of unprecedented opportunity.
- I see a congregation that’s not afraid to take risks and do things differently in order to reach people far from God.
- I see people buying into the Biblical idea that people do not have to be perfect to come to church…and just because they are in church doesn’t mean they are perfect either.
- I see religion being rejected so that it no longer matters what you wear to church! Yesterday we had guys in three-piece suits and guys in shorts and flip-flops. And they were both comfortable in church… and they both heard the Gospel… and…. They like each other!
- I see a church that embraces the fact that the pastor isn’t the only one who is able to minister to, care for, evangelize, and teach all of the people…but rather, “Every Disciple Makes Disciples!”
- I see “non-professionals” (you know… fisherman, tax collectors and tent makers) answering the call of discipleship and ministry… and making a HUGE difference!
- I see people inviting their friends to church because they understand that the church is their partner and that “to follow is to fish”.
- I see a church body who understands that: Jesus is still Lord, the tomb is still empty and the church is still HIS plan for reaching the world!!!
Here’s what I wish I could personally communicate to every Alpiner on the day after Easter:
“We’re not called to play defense! Let’s preach CHRIST, Beg HIM for the salvation of those around us… AND RUN UP THE SCORE!!! It’s the Day after Easter! If you celebrated Easter yesterday, then you have a story to tell today!”